Saturday, September 18, 2010

"Jesu, Shall I Never Be"-Charles Wesley Hymn

I've been reading a small book I found hidden away in one of SF's small random book stores. The book is a collection of sermons and writings and poems and songs by John and Charles Wesley. Just thought I'd share one of those songs/hymns called "Jesu, Shall I Never Be"

Jesu, shall I never be/ Firmly grounded upon thee?/ Never by thy work abide,/ Never in thy wounds reside?/// Oh, how wavering is my mind,/ Tossed about with every wind!/ Oh, how quickly doth my heart/ From the living God depart!/// Jesu, let my nature feel/ Thou art God unchangeable;/ Jah, Jehovah, great I AM,/ Speak into my soul thy name/// Grant that every moment I/ May believe, and feel thee nigh,/ Steadfastly behold thy face,/ 'Stablished with abiding grace./// Plant and root, and fix in me/ All the mind that was in thee;/ Settled peace I then shall find-/ Jesu's is a quiet mind./// Anger I no more shall feel,/ Always even, always still;/ Meekly on my God reclined-/ Jesu's is a gentle mind./// I shall suffer, and fulfill/ All my Father's gracious will,/ Be in all alike resigned-/ Jesu's is a patient mind./// When 'tis deeply rooted here/ Perfect love shall cast out fear;/ Fear doth servile spirits bind-/ Jesu's is a noble mind./// When I feel it fixed within/ I shall have no power to sin;/ How shall sin an entrance find?/ Jesu's is a spotless mind./// I shall nothing know beside/ Jesus, and Him crucified;/ I shall all to Him be joined-/ Jesu's is a loving mind./// I shall triumph evermore,/ Gratefully my God adore,/ God so good, so true, so kind-/ Jesu's is a thankful mind./// Lowly, loving, meek, and pure,/ I shall to the end endure;/ Be no more to sin inclined-/ Jesu's is a constant mind./// I shall fully be restored/ To the image of my Lord,/ Witnessing to all mankind/ Jesu's is a perfect mind.
1742 Charles Wesley

No comments: